Paroxetine in the Treatment of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: Our Experiences

  • Abdulah Kučukalić Department of Psychiatry, University of Sarajevo Clinics Centre
  • Alma Bravo-Mehmedbašić Department of Psychiatry, University of Sarajevo Clinics Centre
  • Alma Džubur-Kulenović Department of Psychiatry, University of Sarajevo Clinics Centre
Keywords: PTSD, paroxetine, pharmacotherapy

Abstract

Posttraumatic stress disorder can develop after individual’s exposure or witnessing of life threatening events. It is characterized by three clusters of symptoms. The course of PTSD is often chronic and impedes individual’s functioning. Studies of PTSD treatment with paroxetine provide evidence for its efficacy in reducing symptoms and its favorable profile of side-effects. The objective of this work was to determine the efficacy of paroxetine in the treatment of PTSD.

The sample consisted of 30 subjects with chronic PTSD. All subjects received treatment with paroxetine in therapeutic dose range for six months. Subjects were assessed prior to therapy and following six months of treatment with paroxetine with the use of following instruments: SCL 90-R, Mississippi Questionnaire, and CGI.

The results indicate statistically significant reduction on all subscales of SCL 90-R following six months of treatment, P<0,05. The difference between two assessments with Mississippi Questionnaire was statistically significant, P< 0,05. PTSD rate in our sample was reduced from 100% before treatment to 64% after treatment. Paroxetine was administered in daily dose of 20 mg in 88% of the subjects, and 40 mg in the remaining 12%. Unwanted effects were registered in 16,7% of the subjects and they were mild. Objective improvement was registered in 84% of the sample, and subjective improvement was registered in 80%. Reduction of relapse symptoms was registered in 24% of the subjects.

Paroxetine proved to be efficient and safe in treatment of symptoms of PTSD in this study.

Downloads

Download data is not yet available.
Paroxetine in the Treatment of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: Our Experiences
Published
2008-02-20
How to Cite
1.
Kučukalić A, Bravo-Mehmedbašić A, Džubur-Kulenović A. Paroxetine in the Treatment of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: Our Experiences. Bosn J of Basic Med Sci [Internet]. 2008Feb.20 [cited 2020Sep.30];8(1):76-9. Available from: https://www.bjbms.org/ojs/index.php/bjbms/article/view/3002
Section
Translational and Clinical Research